Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thankful

   I've had the most relaxing Thanksgiving up in the foothills of the Appalachians with my sweet husband and three Westies. Nothing really could blast me out of here, especially "Black Friday specials". I am truly mortified by people spending Thanksgiving taking stock for what they have and then spending the next day grabbing for cell phones as if their life depended on it.

  Our culture has changed drastically, and I refuse to join the ALL ABOUT ME MENTALITY. I think that's why Delta Kappa Gamma means so much to me. I find the more I GIVE the better I feel about what our Society does for others. Yes, it is work, dedication, and invested time, but I couldn't imagine it any other way.

  I wish all members feel the way I do, and I am so thankful for those who do as YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I hear people say, "Well I'm just too busy." So am I. "I have too many responsibilities." So do I. It's all about what DKG really means to you and your priorities.

 Let me reference this blog piece by telling you that I received a phone call Thanksgiving evening with the news that we lost a dear member of my chapter, Myrajean Ford. Myrajean was one of our matriarchs, founding member, and first chapter president of Gamma Omicron. When I think of the true DKG member, I think of Myrajean. A member since sometime in the 60's, she mentored and encouraged me and many others.

  After her passing, Myrajean's grown son called one of our other charter members to tell a story and ask a request for Myrajean's funeral. He told Mary Sanders that while growing up, both he and his brother were told that on chapter meeting nights they had to go to the local DQ for their Brazier burgers as she was busy getting ready for her chapter meeting. Her son, Danny, went on to say that they would hear her in the bathroom readying for the meeting and singing with pride the Delta Kappa Gamma Song! This was the routine for years! He then asked Mary if our chapter would come and sing our song at her graveside service as that is how much it meant to her! You bet we'll be there.

  In counting my blessings, I include thanks to Him for Myrajean, Delta Kappa Gamma, and you. DKG is a priority to me. I hope it is to you as well as your membership makes a difference.


No comments: